In my blog I plan to chat about nature, crafts, baking, gardening, beekeeping, family, and whatever else seems appropriate at the time. Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Sunday, September 28, 2014

Honeybee VS Yellow Jacket


This photo shows the difference between a yellow jacket and a honeybee. 




You can see many more pictures like this, by clicking HERE.  This photo is courtesy of that same website. 

This time of year it is impossible to eat or drink outside.  I can barely walk outside without being attacked by yellow jackets or wasps.
Here are a couple of differences between honeybees and yellow jackets, besides the way they look.  Many people confuse them, but as you might notice, yellow jackets are skinnier and honey bees are fuzzier or harrier.
Honeybees only want the nectar or pollen from a plant, and the occasional hummingbird sugar water.  Yellow jackets are carnivores.  They will eat meat, sweets, and whatever else you might be eating.  They will also eat honeybees.
Another difference is the sting.  Yellow jackets will sting over and over again and not die.  Honeybees will sting one time, and die.  So, this time of year when you are thinking of those pesky bees, more than likely they are not pesky bees at all.  But rather yellow jackets.
And to other honeybee stuff...
Yesterday my cousin, Vickie, came over and helped me work in the rest of my hives.  She has helped me a lot in the last couple of years with my beehives.  Who knows why?  She certainly doesn't!  But I appreciate it a lot!  We got into a lot of my "iffy" hives yesterday.  One needs a new queen, which is sad because it was the hive that made it through the winter.  Who knows what happened there?  A couple of them are questionable, but the rest SHOULD make it through the winter.  And I am feeding them all right now.

One thing we did find out for sure.
The hive I cut down from the outside of an apple tree a few weeks ago is still alive, however....
they did not go up into the frames I supplied for them.  They stayed like this.  Who knows if they will make it.  They had brood so I let them be.  If you have brood, that means you have a queen.

 And my cute tree hive

Totally dead and gone.  I pulled this comb out of it.  Empty


 Here's the thing....when you have an unprotected beehive, it invites all kinds of predators.  Yellow jackets, hornets, and wax moth.  And honey bees visit each others hives.  So when bringing something like this home, you need to be careful you don't bring home disease that you give to your other beehives.

Ok, after a somewhat stressful morning, I'm heading out to Coral Belle.  I cannot wait to show you some pictures of her!  Maybe tomorrow...

Cindy Bee

2 comments:

  1. So sad you lost the tree hive...I was hoping it would survive but then again it was weak. Honey bees are really quite fascinating although I would never do what you do!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commend you for your dedication to sustaining bee hives! Those yellow jackets! They are no friends of ours! Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking time out of your busy day to leave a comment on my blog. I enjoy reading them. I hope you have a wonderful day.

Cindy